This week, the L4LL DIY Summer Reading Camp theme is SUMMER. The following literacy craft tutorial is a guest post by Kathy Cano-Murillo who publishes the site, CraftyChica.com.
Mis Libros No-Sew Book Bag
by Kathy Cano-Murillo
Life is too short to carry around just one book, right? Why not several? Here is a great way to recycle an old t-shirt into a super cute book bag! Use fabric paint to add the saying “mis libros” – “my books!”
- 1 unwanted T-shirt
- Fabric Paint
- Letter Stencils
- Sponge Pouncers
1. Fold the shirt in half and cut off the sleeves.
2. Also cut off the neck.
3. Open the shirt and cut 3” notches all along the bottom.
4. Stretch each notch and tie in a knot all the way across to seal the bottom of the bag.
5. Cut the seams off the top of the shirt and tie to make the handles.
6. Set the shirt flat and place stencils flat.
7. Apply the fabric paint in a pouncing motion and let dry.
Kathy Cano-Murillo is a writer/novelist, artist/illustrator and founder of the award-winning site, CraftyChica.com. Known for her glittery “Mexi-boho” style, she is a national spokesperson for iLoveToCreate and a creative influencer for Lowe’s Home Improvement Stores. She has a product line that is carried in Michaels stores and is a former columnist for The Arizona Republic, and has authored nine books, two of them novels. She have been featured in The New York Times, USA Today, HGTV, DIY Network, Lifetime TV and more. She is a third-generation Mexican-American, a native Phoenician, mom, wifey, with five Chihuahuas.